I was working full-time and found I only had so much time in a day. I couldn’t work full-time, take care of my family, write, be President of an RWA Chapter and deal with this blog. I know there are other amazing women authors who can do all of that. Apparently, I’m not one of them. So the blog was what gave.
But I’ve been thinking about it a lot and wanting to post. So, since I’m laid off at the moment (and any of you who want to send positive thoughts and prayers about that, I’d certainly appreciate it), I’ve decided I’m going to see what I can do about some kind of regular posting. Even if it’s only once a month. Because I miss it. So here’s my first offering:
This year I’ve had a lot of things to think about and one of them is grace. I’ve being trying to find or give grace in every day. I’ve realized this is not an easy thing to do. Because it’s so easy to get annoyed (or worse) with the driver who didn’t signal and then cut you off. It’s so easy to let each day become a frazzle of things that blend together and before you know it the whole day has gone by and you wonder what you even did. Some days, when my kids do something especially charming or when my dh brings me strawberries in bed for an after-dinner snack because I’m dieting, it’s easier. I can’t know why other people do the things they do – maybe the driver that cut me off was late for work because they spilled their coffee and the dog ran away and they were running late. Maybe someone cut them off and it annoyed them, so they figured what did it matter? Maybe when my oldest child told me he studied for his math test and then he failed indicating that he didn’t, it was because he was too afraid to ask for help.
Since I can only change myself and my reactions to these situations, I’m trying (the key word) to be gracious about them. And when someone is gracious to me for those times when I am not (really, hardly ever ), I am am remembering to be thankful.
It’s read an ebook week starting March 6th and I’m encouraging you to read an ebook by offering Love Songs for free (USE CODE re100 upon checkout) and Snowbound for 50% off (USE CODE RAE50 upon checkout). So go on over to Smashwords and get your copies now! And check out all the other books that are free and/or discounted!
And no, this is not what I normally would post (although a normal post from me is not much at all lately, honestly writing, family and an EDJ are keeping me busy enough), but this is really something we need to read, listen and do something about…
I was bullied in elementary skill. Luckily it was for only one year, Grade 7. But it was enough. My oldest son has been bullied and so have some of his friends – they stuck together and now, thankfully, they are being left alone, but I still worry about high school. What if they are in the same high school together? Because at 11 years old this “bully” already has a police record. Because he didn’t stop with my son or his friends.
Last year, I was horrified to read that 12 years later poor Reena Virk still dealt with her bullies, even though she was long since dead by their hand. And the news lately just hurts my heart more.
If you see someone being bullied, don’t just walk away just because it may not be your kid or your “problem”. This problem belongs to all of us.
How many more kids will be hurt? How many more kids have to die?
Read Single Dad Laughing’s blog post and take a look around you. Can you help someone today?
Not forking out the dough for the RWA Conference this year, with evening wear, suits, high heels and whatever “business casual” means?
Not to worry! Romance Divas is hosting the
Not Going to Conference Conference…
The Conference You Don’t Have to Get Out of Bed For!
From July 28-31, come hang out with some terrific, savvy authors — and you don’t even have to brush your teeth (although, seriously, good dental hygiene gets you extra points.)
We’ll be hosting panels on:
The Power of Three: A crit group tell-all (Paranormal)
The Lolitas of STEAMED! Present Writing the Steampunk Romance -more than leather corsets and brass goggles!
Whips, Chains, Slings, Oh My: It Really Isn’t About the Toys (BDSM Erotica)
The Great Big YA Panel
Register for free at Romance Divas, then come join us on the forums for the discussions, as well as some terrific prizes:
Eden Bradley/Eve Berlin:
1) erotic e-books, THE SEEKING KISS and TEMPT ME TWICE.
2) a synopsis critique in any sub-genre of erotica/erotic romance.
1) erotic e-books, DEVIL’S HEART and BRUSH STROKES.
2) book cover design or banner ad
copy of her e-book, ALL FIRED UP
1) STUPID CUPID YA Book trilogy
2) a proposal critique (1st 3 chapters and synopsis) for any genre of book, romance or not
1) The choice of one of her e-books: PERFECT FORMATION, ALPHA TURNED or BOUND BY SUNLIGHT.
2) A $25 Barnes and Noble gift card.
Robin L. Rotham: Signed copies of BIG TEMPTATION, ALIEN OVERNIGHT, and ENEMY OVERNIGHT
AJ Chase: copies of e-book CAT AND MOUSE
1) e-book package of both MYLA BY MOONLIGHT and SALOME AT SUNRISE
2) The complete Dirty Laundry Series (3 e-novellas) co-written by Ginny Glass aka Wordsugar and Inez Kelley
1) a three chapter ~and~ synopsis critique-any erotic romance, paranormal romance or historical romance.
2) Winners choice, in either print or e-book format (if available), of a set of the Simply series (there are 5) ~or~ a set of the Cowboys (there are 3) ~or~ a copy of KISS OF THE ROSE-readers choice.
Winners choice of any two e-books from her Samhain or Ellora’s Cave back list
Critique of 1st chapter & synopsis-paranormal or contemporary romance
Shelley Munro: Winners choice of any one her backlist books from Ellora’s Cave or Cerridwen Press
Ciar Cullen: Winner’s choice of any one e-book on her website.
Voirey Linger: A copy of her e-book RISKING ETERNITY
1) a submission package critique (letter, synopsis and 3 chapters)
2) e-books! (details TBA)
1) 1st chapter and synopsis critique
2) One copy of any e-book off her Samhain backlist (http://samhainpublis…/crystal-jordan)
3) One copy of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT (print or electronic, winner’s choice)
1) a first chapter critique, any genre
2) an official BUTTERFLY SWORDS souvenir charm
Elise Logan: Winner’s choice of any e-book from her backlist
1) A critique of an m/m story
2) Signed copies of her m/m vampire trilogy MY HEART IS WITHIN YOU, HAUNTED BY YOUR SOUL and OUR SACRED BALANCE
One jar of home made body or face scrub, customized to the winner’s preferences and skin type.
For example: Orange Spice Oatmeal, Coffee-Cocoa, Citrus Salt, Lavender Mint, Honey and Flax
Sela Carsen: a copy of her e-book CAROLINA WOLF
1) a copy of her sweet fantasy romance ebook, EVERLONG.
2) two five dollar MBaM gift cards
Copy of her two e-books, LOVE TO DECLARE and ROCK STAR’S RETREAT
Cynthia Justlin: (Golden Heart Finalist!) Proposal Critique (3 Chapters and synopsis)-any genre other than erotic
1) signed copies of her contemporary romance, THE TROUBLE WITH TESSA and her chick lit romance COZUMEL KARMA
2) Proposal critique (3 chapters and a synopsis) any genre except Steampunk
Tina Burns-Publisher-Liquid Silver Books:
1) a critique of 1st 3 chapters & synopsis
2) 3 be-book prizes for 3 different winners! Winners choice of any one e-book download from LSB library.
Winner’s choice of one e-book from her backlist-see her website for booklist.
Taneasha: handmade jewelry by our own Taneasha-details to come!
1) Winners choice of one e-book from her backlist-see her website for booklist.
2) Critique of up to 20 pages of either M/M, or M/F romance or erotic romance in various subgenres (contemporary, historical, paranormal or suspense/mystery)
A copy of his ebook BEAUTY AND THE BASTARD
3 print books TBA (whatever she finds at the RWA Conference)
Signed copy of SCANDAL SHEET
Jennifer Leeland/Jennifer McKenzie:
1) copy of her e-book MARKED FOR PLEASURE (Kindle version available upon request)
2) copy of her e-book MARKED FOR DESIRE (Releasing June 29th) (Kindle version available upon request)
3) copy of her e-books The Command Series (Trilogy)
4)copy of her BDSM e-book series (3 from TWRP and 1 from Samhain)
1) Critique of novella-length (up to 30k) manuscript; any time period, m/f, menage, f/f (m/m not her area of expertise)
2) signed print copies of her anthology: MATING CALL, DRAGON DANCE and DRAGON BOUND
3) e-book copy of CHANGING THUMBELINA
1) Signed copy of her erotic historical novel, ON THESE SILKEN SHEETS
2) Critique of first thirty pages of any Regency (erotic or non erotic fine, but m/m outside my area of expertise)
1) copy of her e-book The Twilight Deception
2) copy of her e-book The Shadow Unveiled
1) Critique of a synopsis
2) Winner’s choice of any e-book from her back list.
1) copy of her e-book SOUL STEALER
2) copy of her e-book CATCH ME IN CASTILE
1 pair of hand made writing mitts or gloves-style and color TBD by the winner
Winner’s choice of one copy of any of her books available in e-book format
and from me a print copy of Inheritance